June 28, 2011

Madras Vegetable Curry--SO GOOD WITH GHEE!!

Ok. Do you love butter?

Because I love butter. I really do.

Even more than butter, I love GHEE. Ghee is clarified butter which means it is butter that has been clarified; having had the impurities of saturated fat and milk solids removed.  Ghee is lactose-free.

Fat is really important to good health, so make sure you're eating the GOOD kinds. Not all fat is alike. Ghee is your fat friend.

I grabbed this recipe from the interwebs and made it several weeks ago. It is fast, easy and delicious (you know I like my recipes that way).

This past Sunday, my beloved and I were sitting at home taking a much-needed restful Sunday to ourselves. I proposed taking her out to dinner vs making food that night which would give us leftovers for the week!

Guess which she chose? To cook at home together.

This is one of the many reasons why I love her.

She chopped veggies, I did other prep and together we made this delicious meal in about 35 minutes. We watched a few episodes of Friday Night Lights in between. Can you believe Coach Taylor might leave AGAIN?! We already went through this in Season 2...sheesh.

I digress...

Here's MADRAS VEGGIE CURRY take 2--THIS time I added ghee at the end. I should have used it instead of the peanut oil that the recipe called for. I can do that next time and I'll let you know how it goes--better yet, you try it and let me know!

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs peanut oil (or ghee!)
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 Tbs curry powder
  • salt to taste
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 small cauliflower, cut and broken into florets (smaller pieces)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth or water
  • 1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 5 or 6-oz package of fresh baby spinach leaves (we used frozen this time, it was still really rad)
  • 1 cup nonfat (we used low-fat) yogurt
Directions:
  • Place a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat and wait 2 minutes. Add the oil and wait about 30 seconds, then add the onion, curry powder and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5-8 minutes or until the onion is translucent and beginning to soften.
  • Stir in those chopped sweets, carrots and cauliflower, making sure they get completely covered with the curried onions and saute for another 3 minutes or so.
  • Stir in the veggie broth, tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer, partially cover the pot, and cook gently for another 8-10 minutes or until those carrots and sweet potatoes get tender.
  • Add the spinach and give it a stir. If it's fresh, it will wilt within seconds. If it's frozen, it will melt and blend nicely.
  • Stir in the yogurt and remove from heat.
  • SERVE over brown rice (see Brown Rice Life Lessons), millet, or quinoa.
  • if it needs it---stir in a wee bit more of ghee and salt. LOVE YOUR FOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Peeps Who Peep This Website