September 6, 2011

Dillan's Kick-Butt Kale Salad

It's totally true that I took most of this recipe from the Whole Earth Center's Kale Salad but I added some of my own touches to it. If you're ever in Princeton, NJ--get your butt over to the Whole Earth Center and eat yourself some of the original raw salad that inspired my creation!

Like good health coaches, we brought some "healthy" along with us to our pond-side vacation this past weekend in Lincolnville, ME. The best way to enjoy any party is to make sure you bring something healthy to contribute to whatever the other guests provide--that way, no matter what else is there, you know you are getting your veggies in. It felt so good to give the folks in attendance some nutrient-packed goodness to wash down the homemade magaritas, hearty laughs and soothing sun rays.

Here was our contribution:






 I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate. 
–Julia Child 

  
  
DILLAN’S KICK-­BUTT KALE SALAD!  

 TO BUY:   

  3 bunches fresh local and/or organic kale (red or green)  
  3-4 organic or local carrots shredded  
  a head organic or local red cabbage diced into small pieces (labor-intensive, but worth it)
  several avocados diced  
  1 cup chopped tamari‐roasted almonds  
  to taste: Gomasio*, roasted salted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds  
  a handful of raisins or currants  
  salad dressing of choice (I recommend Annie’s Woodstock Dressing) 

*Gomasio is found in Whole Foods and other health food stores. It is minced garlic, sesame seeds and sea salt in a shaker and it's going to change your life.
   
 TO DO: 

 Wash kale thoroughly, tear the leaves away from that hard spine and chop into bite size pieces. 



 Add all remaining ingredients and dressing, toss and SERVE!  

2 comments:

  1. Going up on Pinterest to share with my "audience" until I can make it myself! :)
    Sharing your receipes on pinterest may also hopefully bring attention to your website as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is definitely on the to-do list! ;) thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Peeps Who Peep This Website