August 21, 2012

Super Simple Slaw




I have no idea how to make cole slaw but I want to eat it. I like the kind they serve in diners but I often wonder, "what's in this? what am I eating?"

A quick Google search brings up recipes, and I take a look at a few. Same basic idea, some changes here and there. A lot of mayo. A lot of sugar. Too much for something that's made with carrots and cabbage--there's so much potential for it to be a really healthy side dish and a fun way to get some greens in (cabbage counts as a green), why ruin it with all that sugar? No need. I can do better.

Some wonderful friends recently brought over a bunch of food when I returned home from surgery, and it included some slaw-and I'm pretty sure it was some of the tastiest I've had.

I wanted to do it myself. I have no idea why I'm craving cole slaw---could be that my body is desperately craving greens to help detox the anesthesia from my system. Surgery was rough but I'm feeling better each day. I can't cook much yet (don't have much mobility of my arms and torso) but I CAN shred some carrots and stir (a little).

Here's what I made last night and it was awesome. The recipes I found online called for almost twice to three times the portions I used for the mayo and sugar. Always start with less and you can add more, but see how tasty things are with far less salt and sugar. The apple cider vinegar also gives a great tang. 

As always, I try to use as many organic ingredients as possible. 
 

Super Simple Slaw*

2 mega large carrots
1/3 of a medium cabbage--about 3 cups chopped/shredded
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, roasted or raw

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Eat.

See? Super simple.
 

*had fun with this one? Awesome. Flex your cooking muscles with this Cool Thai Slaw recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Peeps Who Peep This Website