July 6, 2011

A Tale of Two C/Kates

I am writing to share a tale of two C/Kates.


Our first tale is about Cate.

Cate entered my life during the winter. She was doing a couch-to-marathon training expereince with trainers and we met while I was giving a workshop at Lesley University called 5 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs. Following our initial meeting, Cate came in for a consultation and we knew we would make a great team. Every session since she became my client has found us laughing more than being serious, but we still get good work done. An incredible sense of humor is one of Cate's many gifts, but the one I want to highlight today is her tenacity, courage and fierce determination to learn how to get and keep herself healthier and happier. I mean, she ran the Boston Marathon this year!

Cate came to me with goals and an eager desire to learn about food--everything from how it's made to how it affects her body and the planet. She has learned a lot and soaks everything we discuss up like a sponge. Something I really appreciate about Cate is her willingness to grow beyond what she's been taught about food and eating habits and incorporate the recommendations I offer to expand her awareness and competency around eating and living well.

She's making these changes gradually and conscientiously--exactly as one should when they are making long-lasting, effective lifestyle changes. Her text messages make me laugh and beam with pride--I love hearing how she finds little ways each day to shift her thinking and actions toward a healthier life. 

Like this one yesterday: 

"I was parked in front of Dunkin's this morning. Thought about it and left the parking lot sans food."

What a Winner.

Here's how she made an adjustment to her nutrition on the 4th of July. She took an average everyday hot dog (I sent her this article from FOODUCATE to give her more info about hotdogs) and did this with it:

from Cate (her title was, "Cate Cleans Out the Fridge":

Here is my big kid dog:
 
-slit the dog down the middle without cutting in half, score on the back and throw it into a hot saute pan (just a few minutes on each side)
-steam asparagus and cut red bell peppers while dog is cooking
-let the dog crisp a bit on each side
-take the dogs out, throw red peppers in the saute pan to warm them a bit
-put goat cheese in the middle of the dogs and close dogs as much as possible
-cut watermelon for dessert
and Wa-La!
the cheese will soften and moisten the dog adding even more flavor. I didn't use a bun or condiments (being aware of calories and the waste of bread) Asparagus and red bell pepper on the side makes me think of a ball park frank or sausage with the fixin's but for a big kid!
________
For lunch today I had sauteed mushrooms, eggplant, zuccini, quinoa and left over sloppy Joe... sounds a bit odd but helped me clean out the fridge (sloppy joe).and get heavy on the veggies. The sloppy Joe was from a can but tasted tomato paste based so made me think of an Italian pasta dish. The veggies and quinoa made about three servings/meals and I used the meat in two servings - 15 oz containters (two lunches today and tomorrow).  So yummy and filling! So glad to be back on track with cooking!  
 
Enjoy!

~~~

THIS IS WHAT MY WORK IS ALL ABOUT--showing someone how to gradually, over time, make small changes that add up BIG TIME. Her last paragraph is especially poignant because she was having a low last week, really digging out of some discouragement (like my own post about it a few weeks ago) and I reminded her that it wasn't the getting down that's the problem. As long as we pick ourselves up and keep going.

Cate is Great.

Next week, I will continue with the second tale of the second great Kate in my life...my personal trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Peeps Who Peep This Website