December 5, 2011

Two-For Recipe Awesomeness - Indian Chickpeas (from Kripalu!)

That's right, my dears!

Two recipes split into two blog posts--you will have to stay tuned for PART II.

I am posting these together because, quite frankly, they go really well together. Biryani is a delicious spin on plain old rice and chickpeas with spices in coconut milk? Heck, yeah!


These recipes were in the Kripalu 2010 fall season cookbook so they aren't 'Dillan originals' but that's just fine by me. I am happy to share this amazingness with you. I made little to no moderations because Kripalu cooks and serves food exactly the way I like to eat it!

PS you can make these vegan by using vegetable oil in place of ghee (boo, in my opinion becaue ghee freakin' rocks) and coconut milk in place of heavy cream (yay, in my opinion because coconut has more health benefits than cow's milk and no mucus-building action like milk does).

Read on, pals.



indian chickpeas

serves 4

2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
1/2 Spanish onion
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or 1 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the ghee or oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and saute until softened, 5-8 minutes. Add the spices and saute for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes and salt and simmer gently for 30 minutes.

Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture right in the pot or transfer it to a blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution while pureeing the hot liquid; keep blades of an immersion blender submerged and if using a blender, work in batches, filling the blender jar only halfway and hold a cloth over the lid while pureeing). Return the puree to the pan and add the chickpeas and heavy cream or coconut milk. Over medium heat, simmer until heated through, 5-8 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.

ENJOY!!!!!

Stay Tuned for next edition where I'll publish the recipe for homemade Vegetable Biryani (the lovely yellow rice dish under the chickpeas...)

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! I love chickpeas in Indian cooking. I normally make a chickpea curry which is a little different to this, so I'll be happy to give this one a go. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this for dinner tonight over regular brown rice, and it is awesome. Can't wait to try it again with the Biryani. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Anne-Marie! email me a pic of how it turned out! Sarah--did you try it, yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make this for awhile and finally got around to it tonight. I served it with the vegetable biryani - YUM! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Peeps Who Peep This Website