November 16, 2010

A Little Goes a Long Way


I ran 1.6 miles about 3 hours ago, and right now I feel like I could run through a wall.

I'm serious.

I have been on the procrastination tip with exercise for a little too long (about two months) and today was the day I decided to get off it and run a little. I biked a lot during the summer, using my beloved two-wheeled fixed gear as a means of both transportation and exercise. The 5 mile ride wasn't really making me work too hard, after a while, so I decided I'd switch things up and walk a bit. Now I walk the 2+ miles back and forth to "work" everyday (ever since finding the right jobs for me, work is such a relative term)--but have been taking the bus more lately.

I wondered why I was doing that...

1) it's gotten colder
2) I feel less fit from no strenuous exercise

Don't get me wrong; walking is rad and I highly encourage it as everyone's primary means of exercise. It's low-impact, easy and you can work it into your day like I have, leaving extra time to get to work, your date, the gym...

Here's another short-cut to fitness: when you go grocery/clothes/anything shopping---park far away from the store. Get in .2 miles just getting to the door and back. ;)

Today's post is a reminder that, while there are no shortcuts to real, life-long health and wellness, you can take small steps to get there. It doesn't have to (and it won't) happen overnight. In fact, your chances at success are exponentially higher if you make changes slowly and intentionally.

Small steps add up over time and a little goes a long way. After months of walking and biking, jogging wasn't easy. My lungs were a little clogged and breathing was tough but I just slowed down and took my time and made really great time for 1.6 miles! I was really impressed and can't wait to do it again.

The small steps that got me there?

1) stopped SAYING "I need to buy new sneaks" ---and I just GOT them this past weekend
2) stopped SAYING "I need to make time to run" ---and just did it when I hardly had any time at all!
3) stopped thinking it had to be 45 minutes or an hour or 5 or 6 miles to count as a workout. No. I jogged for 20 minutes. And it was awesome.

Doing it again tomorrow.

0^0 (high-five)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Peeps Who Peep This Website